Monday, August 17, 2009

Who tarted?

I subscribe to Real Simple magazine which I happen to hate but this month's issue had a section titled, "Meatless meals for meat lovers" and a recipe for a potato, leek, and feta tart caught my eye. This is not for the faint hearted-it took me 2 hours to prepare due to the home-made crust and prep time. The recipe suggested a store bought pie-crust which would make this a much faster dinner option. I made my own following this recipe. 1 and 3/4 cups all purpose flour, 125 grams of butter (1 stick), 1 egg, and 1 teaspoon salt. I left out the creme fraiche because I didn't have any.
Sift the flour and add the salt.
Next cut the butter into small pieces and then use the tips of your fingers to work it through the flour. I was tempted to use my pastry knife but it was a neat experience and I'm glad I didn't.
Next push the flour/butter mixture to the side forming a hole and crack the egg inside. Use a fork to gently whisk the yolk in its little nest.
Now slowly bring the flour mixture into the egg. Here is where you'd add the creme fraiche. Not sure if I should have supplemented water at this point so I didn't.
Use your hands to knead the dough into a ball and place in the fridge.
The filling calls for 2 leeks, 2 zucchinis (small), 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 tablespoons fresh dill (I only had dried-so I used 1/3 the amount needed for fresh), 8 oz red potatoes (aprox. 2 med potatoes), 2 oz feta cheese, and salt/pepper to taste.
Prep. The zucchini and leeks should be cut into half-moons. Thinly slice the potatoes and crumbled the Feta.
Retrieve your dough and roll it out into 10-12" diameters on parchment paper. I made two as the crust recipe makes 2 servings and I had too much Feta and Zucchini. It also means lunch for tomorrow.
Saute the leeks and zucchini for 5 minutes over medium heat until just soft. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Next fold in the cheese the dill. Lastly add the potatoes and "toss".
Spoon the mixture onto the crusts leaving two inches around the edges to fold up. I handled the foil underneath for extra stability instead of just working the dough. It was fragile.
Ready for the oven. Refolded the foil around the edges to keep them from burning then bake for 35 minutes. Peel the foil back to allow edges and top to brown and bake another 15-20 minutes.
Not as pretty as Martha's but very very tasty. The smell alone from the oven made it worth all the work! It was a little salty but to be expected as I almost tripled the amount of cheese (apparently I'm not good at judging 2 oz by eye).
Dessert! Newman Ginger-Os and unsweetened almond milk.

1 comment:

Estelle said...

Great post! I love the pictures. And thanks for the link! The lack of creme fraiche is probably what made the dough fragile. It's probably safe to replace with water as you suggested.