Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Disorderly Conduct.

This entry is a mess.  I didn't do a good job photo-documenting and it shows.  Todd and Robin came over for dinner Sunday and they let me test out two new recipes on them.  We had a roasted cauliflower soup (vegan) and Polenta Gratin with Spinach and wild mushrooms.
This is the setup for the polenta dish.  The cauliflower soup was already started but if you look up the recipes you'll get the gist.  
After sautéing the cauliflower put it all the ingredients in the pot and simmer for 1/2 an hour.
The "white sauce" is on the right for the polenta dish, and the mushrooms and shallots are on the left.  
Put the mushrooms, spinach, and shallots on the bottom of the dish.  Layer with the Polenta and then add the white sauce (I made mine vegan).
After 30 minutes we are ready to blend.  Pull out the bay leaf first!
Puree in the blender and return to the pot to add the soymilk.  Keep the heat low.
Garnish with Paprika and Thyme.  This was impressively tasty.
After about 30 minutes in the oven I put 3/4 cup cheddar on top and placed in the broiler until brown and bubbly. 
My favorite frozen parbaked bread from Whole Foods.
Ta da!  The only time I have ever enjoyed Polenta (warning: our household found it to be a gassy food source).  Both dishes were easy, tasted amazing, and were great as leftovers.  I highly recommend trying them yourself!

No comments: