Sunday, July 6, 2008

Air Conditioned.

So our AC has slowly been dying since the heat wave at the beginning of summer.  It was an 8,000 btu Haier unit.  I had been reading up on maintaining window units in an effort to keep it until the end of summer and what was recommended was cleaning the coils.  I do not suggest doing this, because once I got it opened I was so disgusted by the environmental diarrhea inside that we promptly went out and got a 4th of July deal on a new unit.  An even sadder part of this story was that I had to measure our apartment, which was a measly 390 square feet rounded up.  However, because we have 10 ft ceilings, cool more than one room, have an attached kitchen, and we are on the top floor with an uninsulated roof, we had to get a bigger unit.  12,000 btu probably would have been best, but we got a 10,000 btu sharp with a higher EER rating of 10.8 (out of 12).  That tells you how efficiently it works.  

Absolutely disgusting.  Literally looked like poo.
I'm happy with the purchase and have found many changes in new units.  The most noticeable is that behind the vents is only Styrofoam separating us from the outside world.  This is also an energy star model.  I giggled when it told you how much you could save using the unit based on a 10 cent kwh average!  I think we pay 17 cents per kwh.  Ha!  

No comments: