Thursday, July 31, 2008

Digest.

So I talk about my critters, and I talk about food.  Now, I've combined them both and talking about dog food.  I'm once again doing the homemade diet for the dogs.  This week we had 9 lbs of chicken breast, 2 yams, 1 carrot, 1 cup barley, and one bag of frozen cauliflower/broccoli.  All organic.  I am still mixing a half portion of the Honest Kitchen in to cover vitamins and minerals.  A.M. feedings include yogurt and eggs with the stew.

I started making food about a year ago with raw which in the end I decided I wasn't comfortable doing so I switched to cooked.  I did lots of research, bought several books, subscribed to the Whole Dog Journal, and joined some home feeding groups.  I like knowing what I'm putting into my animal's bodies, I like knowing it was humanely raised without the use of chemicals and antibiotics.  I like the diets aren't high in fillers (like corn, potatoes, rice, grains, etc) and are fresh.  Can you imagine eating canned or packaged or frozen meals for EVERY DAY OF YOUR LIFE?  Gross.  Wonder why your pet is overweight, has diabetes, or is fighting cancer.  Same reason we are.  Poor ingredients, harmful chemicals, antibiotics, and high starch diets.  Home feeding is not for everyone and you do have to spend time learning how to do it correctly.  There are now several foods on the market that encouraging adding your own home cooked mix to their kibble which is also a terrific option.  To learn more check out www.dogaware.com.   

No comments: