My brother (Rob) and his wife (Dawn) spawned this little guy (Neill 5, or Nickel for short) about a year and 8 months back. Now Nickel's folks are not exactly what I would call animal lovers, but I am steadfast in my intentions to nurture Nickel's budding interest for critters.

He was not so sure about the horses. He preferred to admire them from afar.

Here we caught a little (see below photo) Southern Ringneck Snake or
Diadophis punctatus. My Audubon field guide to Reptiles and Amphibians makes these remarks: Secretive. Most often seen under flat rocks, logs, or loose bark of dead trees. When threatened, red bellied forms a tight coil to expose it's brightly colored underside. Rarely attempts to bite when picked up (I can vouch for that), but will void musk and foul-smelling contents of the cloaca (which means it will poo on you-and I can vouch for that too!). Partially constricts prey, which includes earthworms, slugs, small salamanders, lizards, and newborn snakes. Length: 10-30"

This is a terrible photo but you can see how small he is. Maybe 6-8 inches.

Nickel was very curious, and proceeded to poke at him with a stick. We released him in the woods after he made a second appearance in mom's basement.

Here is a scraggly toad I found in the back yard. Nickel didn't know what to do with him. He didn't want to touch it, but he did enjoy watching someone else touch it and making it hop. It occupied him for some time.
No comments:
Post a Comment