Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Don't drop that.

This months edition of Food and Wine had an article titled, "The best American vegetarian cooking". I thought that was a little over the top, but one recipe in particular looked interesting so we tried it last night. I probably was had a little too much to drink to be cooking, luckily Clint was in the neighborhood doing laundry and helped me out.3/4 a lb of carrots, large zests (use a peeler) of 1 navel orange, juice of one navel orange, and 1/4 cup water. 3 oz of a sharp cheddar (I used an Australian).
Simmer the carrots, juice, water, and zest covered for about 1/2 an hour.
Remove the zest and blend the carrots and remaining liquid.
Add to the pasta (which was already being glazed with one cup of the pasta water collected before draining). Mix in Tarragon and after a few minutes add 3/4 of the cheese until melty.
Transfer to the baking dish and top with the remaining cheese.
You could make it a little crispier-but we were drunk and hungry.
Very very good. The carrots added a sweetness and I believe the orange color was a mental trick to make you think it's cheesier than it really is.

No comments: