While Mandy and Seth were here I baked some produce that we obviously weren't going to eat by going out every night. Originally I thought these sweet potatoes would go in the dog food but I held onto to them and realize yesterday I needed to use them or lose them. At first I was just going to make a bake with a crumb topping, but decided instead on a sweet potato pie. What I found were recipes heavy on eggs, cream, and evaporated milk-which I did not want to include. The vegan recipes used egg replacer and/or coconut milk, which was more involved than I was looking to get myself into.

I combined two recipes. One without eggs, and the other without evaporated milk. Butter, soymilk, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, ginger, ground cloves, sweet potatoes, brown sugar, white sugar, cornstarch, and molasses.

Mix everything together.

Pour into ready made shell.

Bake for about an hour.

Let set in the fridge.

This was probably a good lesson in not making up a recipe you have never tried before. I found the spices right on target but the molasses a little heavy and it wasn't quite firm enough. I guess I'll just have to try again!
2 comments:
you have become a pie making machine! yum!
can you plllease, pleeease pleeease let me know when you try again so I can be sure to be around???? me gusta pie-o.
Post a Comment