Wednesday, September 10, 2008

DON'T DO IT!


I have a strong opposition to the carriage horse industry.  Unfortunately, the Old Montreal district is a prime tourist area, where unknowing customers contribute to the serious misuse of animals.  Most of these horses are owned by the equivalent of a Carnie.  They never know the pleasure of grass under their feet, or free time in pasture.  They work all day on concrete streets, which destroys their feet and knees.  Their ill-fitting harnesses rub them raw.  Day after day.  Hopefully the animals are at least a draft or draft cross, but some are small stock horses, too small to carry the load of the cart and passengers.  
This woman's horse was the best I saw, and she herself looked normal, not toothless and haggard like many of owner/operators. 
Here they are lined up by the Notre Dame Cathedral. 
SHAME!  No shoes, long and cracked hooves.  Cut your nails too short, pull  hangnail, or bruise the tips of your fingers and toes and try using them all day long.  It's the same thing for a horse.
This is disgusting.  You do not need to be an expert in animal care to know this horse is starting to starve.  Only old and sick animals will have ribs showing, and neither should be working if that is the case.  The owner asked if I wanted a ride, and I told him to feed his horse.  He knows better.  Please don't contribute to this cruelty, carriage rides are NOT romantic.

No comments: