Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Barcelona dia cinco!

Recognize this photo? I feel like I post one of these every 6 months. I can't decide if I have more sympathy for our 1965 vespa or a newer scoot with 23K miles on it and beat to hell by tourists.

It was no hassle to swap it out and we got a much better vehicle. We rode all down around the beach and then headed to the mountain.

















It's an amusement park on the top of the hill.
When we reached the top we got lunch at this little bakery. Nobody spoke English but they were very patient with us.
Potato sandwiches with lettuce and mayonnaise. I had a donut too!

Even these low-income neighborhoods are well maintained. All the inclines/declines have elevators or escalators as well as stairs!
Typical red light shot.



We took the scooter back to the hotel and stopped to grab an afternoon cafe. There isn't too much to do besides eat and drink during the siesta hours.
Iced coffee comes hot with a cup of ice.

Pigeons.
Rabbits. I think they're cute with their big eye balls.






Store display...
...with live pigeons!

Ahhh, the terrible truth. I was wrong. I hope you can see the flaws of this system.
The ugliest frenchie I have ever seen. His head came to a point and his body was just bizarre. I decided I would buy him if I could as he most likely had brain damage with that head shape and we could just excuse all his personality flaws with, "he's just not right".
The saddest part is seeing the animals who haven't been picked and are "on sale". I cannot imagine this level of confinement for any young animal.

I was trying to show how tiny they were. Incredibly cute. All the little chihuahuas and min pins were "reserved".
David Bowie eyes!
I thought Will would like this cat.
Kurt returned the Scooter and put me in charge of finding a decent restaurant in this very un-veggie city. With a little research I discovered a place not 5 blocks away and the hotel made reservations for us.


Kurt was drawing me a map of Spain...
Semi-dried tomatoes, bread, and a mint-feta salad.
Table art! They were playing Built to Spill and Sunny Day. We felt right at home.
I had chocolate pasta and Kurt had the truffle tortellini. Everything was absolutely wonderful. Our waitress brought our complements to the chef who then came over to speak with us. Turns out he is from New Zealand and his wife is in NYC next week so we gave her all our favorite recommendations.
Sesamo. Gourmet vegetarian. We headed home after dinner as we have to pick up the car and be on the road by 11 which is when we normally wake up so it will be an early night. Manana...Begur!!

No comments: