Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Birthright.

Any respectable southern girl should know how to make Chicken and Dumplings. With daytime highs in the low 30's I'm in full comfort food mode. I used this delightful recipe. If you've never had Chicken and dumplings, you better get to gett'n. For the veggie version: In a large pot combine 1/2 bag frozen peas, one potato (peeled and diced), 3 carrots (peeled and sliced), 1/2 a small yellow onion (diced), 3-5 stalks celery (sliced). I added 1/2 a carton vegetable broth and enough water to cover all the veggies. I also added 2 veggie bullion cubes. Simmer until potatoes and carrots are soft. For the non veggie version I would read the recipe reviews and tweak to your liking.
While pot is simmering, make the dumplings according to the recipe. When veggies are soft add dough strips and cover pot for 12-15 minutes until dumplings are done. Then add the frozen quorn tenders and one cup milk (I used almond milk for this part as well as in the dough). Slow simmer for 10 minutes and serve.
mmmmm..then assume the after a dumpling dinner position!

No comments: