Between Kurt's Arsenal Holiday party and my pie obligations Saturday night I have a lot of baking to do. I didn't want to spend all day today in the kitchen and Kurt was working late so I decided to get a head start.
I started with a chewy chocolate cookie base but swapped out regular cocoa for Mexican cocoa mix. I upped the cinnamon and also added some cayenne pepper.
Instead of chocolate chips I mashed up these little crispy chocolate Santa's. I thought they would go better with the kick of the spicy dough.
No dirty jokes about cookie logs. These went into the fridge. Since it was only 11 p.m. I decided to prepare my pie crust and filling so I could start my apple pie in the morning too.
This was a great idea! I got up, started the coffee and preheated the oven, took the dogs out, came upstairs and dumped in the filling. Then all I had to do was put on the top crust that was already rolled out and ready to go. By 10 a.m. the pie was done.
While the pie was baking I realized I had 2 bananas to use up. I looked up a banana bread recipe and found one that used an apple as well. I had one granny smith left over from the pie which means it I didn't have to worry about it going to waste while we're away. I swapped out orange juice for the sour cream and added a little more vanilla.
By 11 a.m. the bread was done. This is a nice recipe. It will be perfect for the next few mornings before we leave town. I'm trying to save money and use up what is in the house before our trip.
Next up were the Some Like It Hot cookies. The cold dough was much easier to work with. I used a teaspoon for measure.
You cannot ask for a cookie to have a nicer shape than these guys. They are chewy and chocolatey and spicy and wonderful. I must have gotten close to 60 cookies out of this one batch of dough. Highly recommended.
Finally I tackled the peppermint sugar cookies. A little red food coloring would have been a nice addition as the candy pieces made them a soft beige instead of pink after cooking. They are SWEET, perhaps next time a frosting with peppermint bits? It needs some sort of tweaking but there is great potential somewhere in this recipe.
So, what did you by noon? I might just go throw up-I've had a lot of sugar in the last 12 hours!
No comments:
Post a Comment