Tuesday, December 29, 2009

European Vacation-Day Six.

I can't believe we've been tromping all over this country for 6 days already. Vacations are funny like that. Today we got an early start out of Sheffield and believe it or not these are main thruways we are traveling.

This road had cattle grates on it at both ends. I can't even imagine how freaked out Kurt would have been trying to move a cow off the road.

If you look closely you'll see the headlights of the car we're going to pass approximately 30 feet in front of us.
Macclesfield, UK. The first stop on our western voyage. The guys are trying to decipher the cemetery map.



Salford (in Greater Manchester), UK. Stop two. It was located on Coronation Street-which is a show on the BBC we've been obsessed with watching. It was not in a great neighborhood.
Once in Downtown Manchester we dropped or bags at the hotel. Our room wasn't ready so we put drove over to the car park and headed out.

The first of the 500 record stores I got dragged around.




Most of the shops have these massive doors.

Destination 3 was the Smith's Strangeways album back cover depicting the city signs pointing in all directions. After searching for it for 45 minutes we happened upon this record shop and turns out the owner use to put on big Smiths conventions in the 90's. It's a good thing we talked to him because he told us they took it down a few years ago. We probably would have spent the rest of the night looking for it.
We stopped in here in the honor of Maryland. And to thaw.
It was close to 6 by the time we made it back to the hotel. I was trying to show you how big this bathtub is-about the size of two normal ones. Unfortunately all I can think about is sleeping so it won't get any use.
We said our goodbyes to Rob who took the train back to Sheffield. Kurt and I ate dinner at the hotel restaurant which was not delicious. The Subway sandwiches we had for lunch were a million times better. And it only cost 1 pound 99.

Both the North and South are getting a beating by snow that started this afternoon but we've only had overcast skies and fog. Kurt spoke to Karen who said Edinburgh got 7 inches already with more on the way. There is an icy road advisory for the North and Scotland so hopefully we'll have no problem on the drive tomorrow which should be about 4-5 hours. Getting up early is making me real cranky so we both decided no more early excursions and hope that helps with any travel issues they are trying to sort out in the morning.

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Getting up early on vacation is just horrible!

Looks pretty though!

I like the rubber duckie on the tub btw. Cute!

Dawn said...

I love all your photos! It is like I am there with you.