Friday, December 18, 2009

Interdigital furuncles

Cash is home sick today. He's got a furuncle between his toes. This is actually common with bigger bulldogs and pits and some hounds. I knew what it was immediately when I saw it from previous research on foot issues. Because it's his first and he turns 4 in a few days I'm hoping it's an allergic reaction and not an immune system problem.
The fluid-filled sac comes from the skin between his toes and is pushed up over the top of the foot.
You can tell he's excited about this treatment. A warm salt water soak-several times a day to draw out the infection.
It had already started to ooze and after drying the foot I applied gentle pressure to further drain the fluid and then cleaned it with Malaseb Flush. He wasn't thrilled but with repeat treatments it should clear up in a few days. Luckily one of his dog-sitters is a pediatrician!

No comments: