Sunday, December 12, 2010

Berlin. Tag drei.

I couldn't sleep last night so I read the entire book of Wuthering Heights, woke up at 11 to a splitting headache and Kurt rushing to get me out to the match.  One of his Gooner buddies works for a German Footballer magazine and had gotten us tickets.

A 36 minute commute.  Oh look.  Snow.
Then a treacherous walk through the woods.  

Apparently if you have to pee from all the drinking your allowed to do on the metro then you just pull over on either bank of the woodland walk and get to it.
And nobody, not even in city center, shovels snow on walkways.









Hmmm.  More Snow.  Why yes I would have loved to wear my boots but they hadn't dried out from the misadventures of the Berlin Wall yesterday since there is no shoveling to be had.
Snow clouds.
First goal for Hertha.
Glüvine.  Hot mulled wine.  
The fans were impressive.  
Fun.
Fun.
Kurt getting his scarf signed.
He chased down the Captain for his signature.  The VIP seats let you eat and drink for free after the match.  We couldn't figure out a lot of what we were eating.  In Kurt's attempts to be adventurous we did get a translation for "very young cow" and we both tried the Currywurst (Keilbasa type pork sausage dish).  Kurt tried it again.
Advent is a big celebration here.  The nativity put up by the stadium.
Glüvine in to-go cups.  Oliver and Sebastian invited us to celebrate Advent with their families but it would be another 3-4 hours of eating and drinking with a long ride back on the train.  
Safety first.


2 hours after the match ended=no crowds.  This was the most fun thing we did, and we owe our hosts if they ever come to NY.
Apple strudel back at the hotel

Public transportation here is amazing.  It works on an honor system and is well organized.  Lots of people have dogs, and lots of dogs on the trains.  Drinking is allowed in public, and on public transportation.  I didn't see any drunks.  Few Germans spoke fluent English, and we often encountered those who spoke almost none at all.  It is very difficult to eat vegetarian.  As a matter of fact it seems difficult to eat at all around here.  Lots of Goths and leather pants.   Kurt keeps saying, "I bet this place is awesome in the summer."  For me, I lost my hat here today, and I'm really sad about it-and overall that's how I'd sum up my experience with you Berlin-the city that took the hat I loved and needed because you're really cold and slippy.  Boo.

Tomorrow we catch the 10:48 train to Prague.  Auf Wiedersehen.   

2 comments:

CDS said...

I'm really glad you decided to Blog, now I can live vicariously through your travels!

Anonymous said...

woo! goths! looks like you're having fun, but it also looks dang cold. want me to bring you another hat?