Wednesday, December 22, 2010
München-Zürich. They weren't lying.
Though our train was actually waiting at the station upon arrival it departed late and slowly progressed to being 30 minutes behind schedule. I saw a horse drawn sled on snow but couldn't get a photo fast enough from the train. That was very exciting!
Aside from a little setback at the ticket machine for the bus and a little neighborhood wandering trying to find the right street for the hotel it was an uncomplicated journey. The woman eating next to us at dinner was from New Jersey and since we hadn't had internet access she proved a valuable table companion to fill us in on the weather, the culture, and the exchange rate.
Zurich is expensive. I mean-people kept saying, "Oh you're going to Zurich-it's expensive!" and I thought that because we live in NYC I'd be prepared. Not even close. The Swiss Franc is a few cents short to being one to one with the dollar-but a plate of plain spaghetti is 20 bucks. Most entrees were between 20 and 60 dollars. Not just in the tourist areas-everywhere. Street food ran you about 10-15 bucks. We were pretty flabbergasted. We at in the old town and it cost us 60.00
The weather was mild and there was no snow so we meandered around town. It's very walkable, we didn't use public transport after that first bus ride, which it turns out was only a 7 minute walk from our hotel anyway.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment