Berlin boasts the largest train station in Europe completed in 2006. Our train was 45 minutes delayed so we huddled in a McDonald to keep to warm.
It snowed most of the trip and in the end we were about 80 minutes behind schedule. Apparently this entitles you to some sort of refund, but they weren't that keen on explaining how to do that exactly at the train station-which was mostly do to the language barrier.
About 19 Czech Crowns to the dollar.
The train station was a nightmare. It took us 45 minutes to find our way out. No one spoke English. Here Kurt is trying to navigate the Tram schedule. We didn't have a ticket and luckily no one checked our castaway status. Turns out it would have only been a 15 minute walk anyway.
The guy at the hotel recommended we eat next door at a place called "My Darling Clementine" which was an American Cowboy/Western themed restaurant filled with a tour group from Ireland of women in their 60's/70's. The poor one-man staff waiter was completely overwhelmed and it took about 1 hr 20 minutes to get our meal-which was cold when he served it. But we were starving and in a hurry so we ate it in under 10 minutes then ran out to catch the Arsenal match. Here we are arriving at the "Sport Bar".
Arriving as the match began made it for a tight time finding seats. We finally pushed our way into the main room and grabbed some folding chairs and forced a place for ourself. Arsenal lost but we had fun.
After the game Kurt introduced himself to the loudest Gooners in the room trying to find his facebook friend Andy who had told him to meet us at the "Sport Bar". Luckily that guy had Andy's number. Turns out Andy and his 4 friends had also arrived late and given up finding seating so went across the street. They were all Brits except the bearded guy who was American.
Andy and Kurt traded shirts.
I had to turn the flash on so you could read it :)
We headed back around midnight. We didn't pass one person.
Even with all the hassles of our day, we were instantly in love with this city. Walkable, friendly, and simply beautiful.
Woke up to snow today. They don't mess around here-these little trucks sweep the roads and the sidewalks.
Gate-stop in the old city.
It's very similar to Paris with it's bridges. We simply spent the day walking from one side to the other taking in all the neighborhoods.
This is the only position you can take to beg here. I saw two people with dogs. Some put their faces all the way to the ground.
Snowshoes.
I don't know what this is, but it's wonderful! Bread strips wrapped around an iron rod and baked over a flame and sprinkled with sugar and spices.
I scratched that into paint where we ate dinner. Most of it was there, I just saw a shape and made it into a bear. We had amazing Indian from a Himalayan restaurant. I'm debating buying another pair of shoes. My toes are always wet by the end of the day. I resorted to lining them with bags but even the bags wear through. I was misinformed about the weather or I would have packed something more appropriate. The boots themselves live on the heater overnight to dry back out. I tried on lots of hats today, but couldn't find one I loved so that may have to wait for a city with better shopping.













2 comments:
What a beautiful city. Dad
I'm an totally coming with you guys next time. That looks Awesome. Ethan
Post a Comment