Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Copenhagen 3

So I set the alarm for 9...but when it went off I reset it for 10. There were a few bumps in our morning that gave a foreboding feeling of what was to come. Tobias was exhausted from a late night and early morning from his finals so we were on our own. Luckily I dragged my good attitude and natural cheer from the deep depths I keep them hidden and off we went.  The outcome? We had the type of day that defined Copenhagen as a city worth it's weight in Kroners.




 Don't be jealous of my horn.
 horse.



 horse.
 horse.


 Kurt said, "you should take a picture of those".  I said, "what are they?".  He said, "I don't know".
Surprise and delight.
Christianias.  You can't take photos as it is illegal to buy and sell drugs and they have do have cannabis cafes.  After the authorities tried to shut down the specific area known as the "Green Zone" the sale of the drugs moved to other areas within the commune and now there are drug wars between gangs trying to control the trade. Another rule was "no running"-it causes panic.  There was one more but I can't recall what it was.  I was too busy looking at all the dogs running around.

 We couldn't get out of there fast enough and took the first detour we found.  Glad we experienced the place, but we only walked through a small bit interior and didn't go into any of the shops or markets.



 old.



 The biggest map in the world.
 Kurt's naked finger showing where we were and my mine showing where we were debating to go.
 We decided it was too far and headed back to center city.
 Then stumbled upon the Eiffel Bar which Tobias had mentioned to Kurt in passing so we popped in. It reminded us of the Blarney Cove on 14th St.




More camera lessons.


 Our first souvenir of the entire trip, unless you count the salted licorice.










 Valkyrie.  I though it was a famous person whom I was very impressed rode horses naked without bridles or saddles. Turns out it's old Norse for "chooser of the slain"-one of the hosts of female figures who decide who die in battle.
 We stumbled upon the old Citadel and St. Albans Church.

















 Chicken and Mushroom slice.
 Tikki slice and Sausage roll.
 The note says it all.

 Kurt's mustache is vain.  It probably thinks this post is about him.
 Tobias rallied after his nap to meet us.

 Kurt and Tobias philosophized.  We felt like we were caught in a moment from Midnight In Paris.

 Licorice cupcake.  It was phenomenal.

 Back to the harbor.
 8 pm.  No one out.
We visited the Queen's house.
 Opera house.




 Tobias is popular.
 Kurt in the smoker's room.  It was creepy, and he looks creepy.

Then we went to this fancy Swedish restaurant and got a McFlurry and a strawberry milkshake.  We keep thinking about all the milkshakes Rob had when we were in Florida and we've lost complete control of ourselves.

Tomorrow we have a late afternoon flight to Manchester.  Rob will meet us at the airport and then he and Kurt will rush to make the Man. City game with Kevin.  I am not sure if I'll be with Natalie or at the hotel.  We are eagerly looking forward to our home away from home in Manchester, where the days are lighter for longer.




1 comment:

Nicole of all trades said...

Once again, you amuse, as the voice of Kurt's mustache. The Christianas sounds kind of like a year-round burning man of sorts, huh? Did you know much about it before finding yourselves there?