Saturday, December 17, 2011

Göteborg 2

It's hard to get out of bed in the mornings, but we managed to meet Jesper at little after 11 to begin our adventures. It was about 35ºF here, on par with what we experienced in Stockholm...but without the sun.  Göteborg is much more diverse, and it appears that the people are a looser than in the Capital city. This is a working town, built around the mills and industry. Most of all I was surprised how hard it is to get a seat at a cafe, bar, or restaurant.  If you come here, make reservations if there is a restaurant you want to try.

 I was running late.
 Jesper ready to be our excellent guide.
 Fish Market
 Means "Cheese" but is also a Surname in my family.

 The statue that is famous for obvious reason was first on our list.  You can click any photo to enlarge.
 I found a unicorn which was unexpected and cool.





 Holiday markets.








 Iron Square.


 Our friend Todd did the artwork for this album cover and the band recorded here in Göteborg.



 Mini pit.  Actually a Staffordshire Terrier.  I have seen many many small dogs here.  But also lots of Golden Retrievers and Rhodesian Ridgebacks.  They do not cut the tails of Boxers or Jack Russel Terriers.
 Welocome to Gothenburg...Death Metal Capitol of the World.  Not sure that's a fact.
 This record should be named "Gold Mine".  Kurt scored big time.






 A very extensive Beatles collection here.
 Ferry to Germany and Denmark...or Norway.  Can't recall.




 Our hotel is way back over there by the ferris wheel.




 You can tell it's probably around 3 as it is getting dark.  We stopped into a pub to warm up and decide what to do next.
 Ice Chocolate.
Hat head.
 Jesper's friends Dave and Louise came to meet us.
 Then we went to perhaps one of the coolest restaurants I have ever been to-a Thai place.  We did not have a reservation but Jesper and Lois worked some kind of magic for us.


 Not a lot happening after dark.
 7-11
 Then Bobby came to hang too.
 A photo of a photo of David and Bobby.
 Salted licorice.  The direct translation, "Screaming Jungle".

 Yes, this is the face you will make.  Very similar to when Will Ferrell sprays perfume in his mouth in the movie Elf.  I'm bringing it back with me for any who dare.  David said, "it will make you teeth itch" which translates to, "It will make your mouth sting".
 Then we went to O'Leary's to kill time before a well known rap group was playing at the charity cube.  Lois went home.
 Schweppes, the "American Ginger Ale".


 More cute little Staffies.
 Death by licking.


 We donated the last of our Kronas to the charity cube.  The group was delayed and we were too cold to stay so we headed home around 11:30.

Though our stay here was short we really had a wonderful time.  Our hosts were so generous and accommodating and eager for us to enjoy their city as much as they do.  I highly recommend visiting this country, and I wish we had more time (and warmer weather) to explore it a little more.

Tomorrow we catch the 10 a.m. train to Copenhagen.  We are both dreading trying to accomplish anything by that time of day.  I am already packed, but regardless it will be difficult.  We'll be riding first class, so hopefully it will be quieter than train ride here.  I think it will take around 3 hours.  Once we arrive we will get situated and then head to the Copenhagen Arsenal supporter's pub to catch the Arsenal vs. Man. City match.  

No comments: