Thursday, December 22, 2011

Manchester 1

The internet took so long to load last night I fell asleep while attempting to update the blog.  Yesterday was another one of those uneventful days.  It was grey and rainy in Copenhagen.  We had a late check out at 1 pm and didn't leave the hotel before then.  We took a train to the airport and arrived 3 hours early-everything was extremely efficient and we moved right through baggage, security, and passport control. Which left us pretty bored.  

 Another train.
 Another airport.
 We are very early.
 Turns out you only have to go to the airport to visit Copenhagen's most famous attraction...the Little Mermaid.
 Follow Kurt and his granny cart around.
 Take Photos.
Eat some candy from duty free.
 Read my book.
 Realize my book is a stolen relic from my past.
 Watch Kurt text.
 Change my name.
 Follow Kurt and the granny cart some more.
 Wait in another line.
 Manchester!  No flash.
 ROB!  No flash.
 Elevator love song.

 Train to city center.
 Evaluating our money situation by counting the remnants of past trips.  8 Pounds.
 Picadilly Station.
 And here is where Kurt realized his bag was missing on the train and he and Rob raced back to the platform.  The train had already left the station, and he did all he could which was leave notice with the transportation officials.
 They guys dropped me at the hotel and raced over to catch the Man. City game with Kevin.  I went to dinner with myself and My Ántonia and my iPhone.  We had a great time.
 I had goat cheese with beets, pumpkin curry soup, and rocket with parmesan.
 Then I walked over to meet the guys at 10:15.  Very serendipitously I ran into Rob and Kurt on one of these corners.
 our destination.
 Hot Cider.
 Crisps for those who didn't go to dinner with iPhone and My Ántonia.
 He almost looks Amish doesn't he.
 Kevin's shot of me with his daughter Ella.  She works for Man. United.

It was much later than I thought around this time.  Midnight or so.  Kurt was on the phone with insurance about the bag for a while when we got back but I do not think he was able to sort much.

I guess a lot of today hinges around this missing bag which has certainly added a special flavor to Kurt's demeanor. The greatest irony of it is he was planning on shaving off his moustache that he had grown out for Rob, and his razor and trimmers are in the luggage. Kurt has already left to go back to the station and speak to the authorities.  We had considered a day train trip to Liverpool. Or, we may end up having to get Kurt new clothes to replace some of his now missing wardrobe.  I woke up at 9 without an alarm, so I'm giving myself an honorable mention about it and as a reward for this I'm not going to wash my hair today.  I mean, nobody around Manchester will notice.  This town is full of hot messes.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

I love your commentary! Hope you all are having fun... I would have gone to dinner with you... looks yummy