Eurostar. We took the tube with all our bags so we were relieved to get on the train. But not as relieved as that guy.
Ready to roll.
Except we were in the wrong carriage. So we moved, which was annoying but everyone said bye to us and that they'd see us in France so that was nice.
Sunny France.
I waited while Kurt got Euros.
Metro. I get a million points for dragging my bags for this far.
Hotel. That's the look of love. Or putting your bags down for 4 days. They are similar looks.
These are fish-horses!
Our hotel is just to the right.
I liked this dog was holding it the leash. I have seen lots of dogs here, mostly small dogs owned by old people. The homeless men have them too, and their dogs all have little puppies.
We walked.
We enjoyed all the places that tourists flock but that you avoid in your own towns.
One of our favorite restaurants, located in the Bastille. We couldn't figure out what we had last year and it's a good thing we didn't blindly guess as Kurt would have ended up with chicken gizzards and I would have gotten beef kidneys. Then the waitress recommended either a salad with chicken livers or a dish made out of blood. I went with the gorgonzola pasta.
Then we meandered the back streets.
And the main roads.
And had some dessert.
I'm not really sure what's going on here. We got to the place we live around 10:30 or so (that's what the Scandinavians would say in reference to our hotel stay).
Day 2
Somewhere around Les Halles.
Breakfast/Lunch. I don't know what day of the week it is anymore, let alone the hour.
Motos.
Kurt loaned me 5 Euro for scarf at the tourist shop across from the Louve.
Much better.
How many attractions can you get in one photo?
It rained some more.
Bad Camera
Good Camera.
Wondered what it looks like here in the summer.
And here.
Don't know what it was...but delicious! We basically got cash out just to buy all the sweets we could.
Dirty bird.
Horses.
And then there was a donkey. Right there, in the middle of the sidewalk. I liked him for many reasons but most notably because 1. he liked to warm himself by the fire and 2. this led me to deduce he may by a pyro. If we hung out...there is no telling where things would end up.
More rain.
Less rain.
Majestic horse. I couldn't tell if the spikes beneath him were to keep people from climbing on him or part of the sculpture...which would make it extremely Metal. Like Death Thrash Metal.
Ok if you insist.
French fries and coffee. My favorite meal abroad. So far Spain has done it best.
Metro a few stops to keep out of the rain.
Hotel. We walked to the Champs Elysées and back. Knackered is the word. What can I say, we're not as young as we use to be and we are full to the brim with carbs. It's almost 8 here now, and I imagine we'll just run out for dinner around the corner then tuck in for a cozy evening of English Soaps.
Tomorrow we have a few options for New Years Eve. The big venues are the Champs Elysées and Eiffel Tower. Also there's a place around the corner that is a local's hangout that came highly recommended. I suppose the weather will determine our ultimate course. Other than that, Kurt may hit up a record shop and we have the Arsenal vs QPR match at 4:00 p.m.



2 comments:
Seeing the sights through your pictures made me realize how long it's been since I walked those streets. They all seem so familiar, and I, too, used to duck into the metro to get out of the cold and the rain. My au pair budget was a tad (sarcasm) tighter than the vacationing rich Americans, but I still enjoyed it as you seem to. I wish I had thought to put you in touch with friends of mine (and my favorite french-speaking church). The one I'm thinking of is probably home with her family in England for the holidays, though. Next time you're in Paris, though!
Thanks for sharing your tour of Europe with us. I have loved all the pictures and food :)
Post a Comment