Friday, December 16, 2011

Göteborg 1

Today we got up just in time to make breakfast then went back to our room where we remained until about 1:30 p.m.  It was cold and dreary in Stockholm.  It was a four hour train ride but there was only light for about the first hour so I didn't get to see much of the country side.  It's was weird to spend so much of the day stagnant but I made good progress in North and South.







 For the Fields.
 Jesper met us at the train station in Göteborg.  Kurt met him at the Blind Pig during an Arsenal Match in NYC this summer.

 Our hotel is stuck in the early 90's, but we don't mind.
 Elevator Love Song.
 After dropping our bags we met Jesper and Reine at a pub by the train station.  Can you figure out the code?  Hint: It's Arsenal.




 I love horses.

 This is the reason I don't use flash.  This doesn't look awesome, but it's mighty tasty.  A shrimp sandwich with hard boiled eggs, tomato, lettuce, and cucumbers.  No shrimp I have eaten anywhere in all my travels have tasted this delicious.  I heard that Swedish people think Americans just say stuff to be nice but don't mean it.  I meant that.




 So, this bathroom shows you that turning the handle up locks the door.  My first experience with this sort of handle was not so great.  I thought you pushed the red button (see below)-but turns out that is an alarm that signals someone who works there to come check on you.  In my case, I could not get the waitress to understand I was ok and shut the door...all this was while I had my pants around my ankles and she held the door open.  Yeah....so now you know in case you ever come here.
 DO NOT PUSH the red button.
 Here we are at a place called the Dubliner.
 That guy in the background is rocking that haircut.  He looks like the dad from BeetleJuice.


 Kurt's mustache at a pub.



 This is a charity event held near the main train station where 3 DJ's live in a booth for a set amount of time to raise money for women in India and Africa who would not otherwise be able to go to school.  There guys were "Father and Son"-Swedish Rap.

 This dude announced exactly where Götenborg would be, and someone made it a statue.
 So Arsenal NYC raised 1500 for the Bowery Mission in their Charity Fundraiser.  Arsenal Göteborg thought they should do something also and raised 4,000 Kronas for the above mentioned charity and when they gave the money challenged other football clubs in Sweden to do the same.  Turns out both the Liverpool and Chelsea supports accepted the challenge, and raised a substantial amount themselves.  Goes to show how the good you do can encourage others to do the same...all around the world!
Why yes that is a Unicorn Seahorse.  And I love it.

Tomorrow I believe Jesper is giving us the grand tour of this city.  And I'm excited we have until 11 to make it to breakfast.


1 comment:

Curtis D Williams said...

i love the comment about the dad from beetlejuice.