Saturday, January 17, 2009

Hogs and Quiches.

Here we go....green onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, leeks, cheddar cheese, spinach, broccoli, soymilk, green peppers.
The vegan egg replacer and pie-crust.
Following the instruction on the ENER-G box, I put the cheese in first. This could be made vegan with a cheese alternative or omitting completely.
I started with sauteing the leeks and mushrooms in canola oil and then added the peppers with salt.
I decided not to pre-cook the green onions or tomatoes so I threw them on top of the cheese.
Once the leeks, mushrooms, and green peppers are tender add the broccoli and spinach.
Season the raw ingredients as desired. I used salt and pepper.
Here is the egg replacement. 3 1/3 Tablespoons mix to 1/2 cup soymilk. It was sour and thick. I was beginning to get the "I hope this isn't a vegan disaster" feeling.
Place the cook vegetables in the pie.
Add the egg replacement...
Ta-Da! It had the right look...
...and the right taste! The replacement definitely had the correct egg texture but I wouldn't say it was flavored similarly. This was really good. Again, limiting the artificial ingredients helped. A good addition would have been Bacon Bits (most are vegetarian).

No comments: