Monday, January 12, 2009

Water Works.

When we were in California for our anniversary we had the lovely experience of staying with Mandy and Seth at their cute little bungalow in Long Beach.  I couldn't help but be shocked and appalled by their shower head.  I mistakenly believed it was the cheap hotel style shower head that sprays violent and almost painful streams of water that your landlord puts in the apartment to save a few bucks.  At some point after that Mandy and I got to talking about it and she quite forwardly informed me it was a water saving model.  In my mind I was trying to justify the downright uncomfortableness of spray (think attack of the killer bees) for the earth friendly option.Before I continue with my story I must inform all of you who do not know that every apartment in our building has it's own water heater-around 20 gallons.  Amongst one of our 50 trips to home depot over the past 2 weeks I saw one for 12.00 (1.6 gpm),  so I bought it.  I've had this shower head for 2 weeks now and have not run out of hot water during my shower for the first time since moving into this apartment 4.5 years ago.  Our previous 2.5 gpm head gave you less than a 10 minute shower.  So while baths are still only something dreams are made of, I already feel like I'm living a fantasy.   Mandy-the earth and I thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice! i told you, once you get used to it and don't let it spray you in the face, it's really quite nice and you can feel better about taking your time in the shower. yeah water conservation! i think about this a lot in southern California.